It’s been the oddest week – here I am, in Egypt, writing this wrapped up in layers of clothes and sweaters with a huge woollen scarf wrapped around my neck as if I’m writing in Alaska – it’s cold.
Last week the country was thrashed by an overwhelming sandstorm for two days which has left it in a deep shroud of yellow. For a Brit it’s the most peculiar phenomenon – the sky darkens and sinks into hues of grey/pink and amber – that always makes me think of the English skies just before a snow storm descends but, rather than pure, pretty white snow, the wind picks up and howls and shrieks around the house. Then sudddenly everything is the most eery yellow/amber and the air is heavy with dust and sand. It doesn’t matter how airtight your windows are the demonic sandstorm will find a way to deposit copious layers of sand across everything you own. Everything feels gritty to touch. The air pressure is heavy and invariably I end up with a headache or two. Then suddenly it stops almost as if it was just a figment of imagination – the sky is a beautiful blue and the only reminder of what is known here as The Khamaseen is the thick layer of yellow sand and debris everywhere. The positive side is that without TV for distraction I made major in-roads into one of the books I’m writing – so as they say here “Shokran Khamaseen”.
20 Most Popular Articles on Writing
So to the subject in hand. Here are this week’s 20 most popular articles on writing, self-publishing and book promotion. I am blushing slightly as my article came in at Number 1 this week – I debated whether to include it or not but in the end allowed the results to speak for themselves. Enjoy this week’s varied selection from some great writers.
1. Check out these 20 fab articles on writing, selfpub & book promo http://bit.ly/1FtV0ae
2. 7 Keys To Write the Perfect First Line of a Novel http://bit.ly/1wI3VhO
8. 7 Benefits of Writing Short Kindle Books | Nathan Meunier http://bit.ly/1L6TPl6
9. Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Be Your Own Critic – Blots & Plots http://bit.ly/1xTDeIo
11. Authors! Check this out – How to make the most of ask the author on Goodreads http://t.co/5euYWZ95XE via @goodreads
12. How to Avoid the “Just Following Up” Email And Add Value Instead http://linkd.in/1LRiKti by Hendrik de Vries
13. National Novel Writing Month – Tips from an Editor: Five Times to Say Yes http://bit.ly/1zAPe17
16. Why You Need an Editorial Calendar for Social http://bit.ly/19fbokE
17. “The Game That’s Literally About Writing a Novel” http://bit.ly/1CvEPLo
18. Productivity For Writers: 5 Ways To Become More Productive http://bit.ly/1tMpXoC
If you liked these articles check out last week’s great selection here.
If you have any articles you’d like to submit for next week let me know in the comments section below.
Bye for now…